Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

After my final exam on Friday, William took me out to dinner (mmm, truffle mash!). It was good, but the dessert menu wasn't inspiring, so we went to Baskins instead.

We had already placed our orders and were just lingering in front of the counter when a girl (who, I will admit, looked like the stereotypical "butch" lesbian) peeked her head around me, obviously trying to see the flavours. I tried to push William over, but he didn't move, so I just walked around the other side of him to get out of this girl's way so she could see what she wanted.

As I stood there, she looked me up and down a few times and had this strange look on her face. I smiled back at her. Then she said something so ridiculously offensive I still haven't quite gotten over it.

"It's ok, I won't touch you."

I was really confused for half a second. What on earth did she mean? Oh... wait... she couldn't possibly?... she doesn't mean?... She does! She honestly thought I moved out of her way because she's a lesbian! What the fuck?! I said, "What? Oh, no, I was moving out of your way so you could see..." but I don't think I was convincing. It probably didn't help that when I tried to push William over, he didn't move, so it would have looked like I was moving behind him to hide from her.

I just can't describe how offended I was she thought that. I have never, in my entire life, ever had a problem with gay people. Ever. There was one gay guy I worked with that I didn't like, but that was because he was an idiot in general, not because he was gay. I felt like trying to explain to this girl that she had me all wrong, that there was no way I'd ever discriminate against someone like that, but "the lady doth protest too much" ran through my head, so I didn't bother. If she wanted to think she'd been treated badly by some stranger, there wasn't much I could do about it.

But it's still baffling me. Why would you immediately jump to that conclusion in a confined space, when you're trying to look at the products that someone else is standing in front of? Why would you immediately think that them moving was because they were trying to get away from you and not because they were simply being polite and giving you the space to look at the products? Weird.

Going to a show on Friday night with William's mother and sister. Somebody please save me. Also, they're getting a lift with me from the city to our place beforehand so they can change. I guarantee my driving is going to get some remarks. I drive like a normal, maniacal city driver, and I'm not going to change that just because they're in the car. Still, I bet I cop it for driving too close/fast/whatever. Ugh. And I'll have just been to the gym, so I'll be all sweaty and tired and cranky (Friday is legs day. I hate legs). Fun fun.

0 comments: