Thursday, February 21, 2008

Welcome to the Third Reincarnation

So who won the bet? What was the general consensus for how many days I could stay away? You have to give me some credit - I lasted almost a week!

For now, this will be an open blog, but if I notice any sneaky people sniffing around, I will be changing it to Invite Only.

And to open, I shall tell you of the poor guy I encountered in Lincraft yesterday.

I was standing at the counter, paying for the 10 metres of lining I had bought for some Chinese silk I'd purchased to make a dress. A guy came up to the counter and asked the other attendant if they had any "stretchy fabric". She responded with lycra, spandex, etc and then asked him what he wanted to make. He said he was making a costume. She described the lycra and spandex and he said that wasn't what he was looking for. She then suggested stretchy fleece, like tracksuit material. He said no, he wasn't after that either. A girl behind me said, "You don't mean neoprene do you? Like wetsuit material?" and he just sort of looked very blank and said he didn't think so.

He then said that this material was on the inside of shorts and that you could stretch it out. The attendant had no answers and neither did the girl behind me. I was thinking to myself, "he couldn't possibly mean elastic, could he? He'd have to know what elastic was called!" I didn't say it to him though. He then said he would go and look around and see if he could find something similar.

He came back. With a packet of elastic.

The attendant and the girl behind me both let out, "Ohhh! Elastic!" at the same time. He then apologised and said he was just a guy and didn't know about such things. How can you not know the name for elastic? Surely he's bought underwear before? Most men's underwear says something about the elastic on the packet. How could someone live to the age of 25 (or thereabouts) and not know about elastic? Bizarre.

I left then, so I didn't get to find out exactly what sort of costume he was making, and where he thought he was going to get a piece of elastic big enough to make a whole costume out of. Or indeed, what sort of costume one would want to make entirely out of elastic!

*****
Driving home, I saw the following sign above a pub:

Meat
Katie-Lee ##
Saturday, 1 March.

I'm not sure Katie-Lee would appreciate the conotation that she is meat, and I'm pretty sure the pub is not clever enough to be eluding to Sheik Hilali's comments.

0 comments: