Thursday, July 31, 2008

*Nervous*

I think I am somewhat scared of going on my trip at the end of the year. I am normally so organised that I would have had everything booked months ago. As it is, I only just paid for the flights 2 weeks ago, and while I had the script for my first lot of vaccinations, I hadn't actually gotten it filled or booked in to see a doctor to get it administered. I hadn't looked at accommodation either, nor been to a backpacking/camping store to sort out the stuff I would need.

I think I was procrastinating because I'm a little bit scared about being so far out of my comfort zone. I will have to talk to people I don't know, get used to being in a third world country again (and all that entails hygienically and commercially), and deal with potentially dangerous situations - because let's face it, we are pretty lucky here in Australia. There's not much chance of being mugged or robbed, while in most countries in SA, and even Europe, pickpockets are very common, and hijacking/muggings aren't far behind.

So I guess my brain was sort of battling with me and was making me put off things that should have been organised a long time ago. So this week I got my act together. I have booked all of the South American accommodation. I have paid for the flights. I have paid for the travel insurance. I have booked my vaccinations in with the doctor. I've organised to go to a backpackers/camping store to check out all the gear and make a list. I have finally made some progress!

Now I just need to finalise my Europe itinerary and make a decision about what to do (ie, book hideously expensive hostels, or try couchsurfing.com). Thankfully I'm going to SA first, so I still have some time, but I would like to have all that sorted by the end of August.

I have bought a domain name and will be setting up a travel diary site with a photo gallery and blog and what not. If you're interested enough that you want to follow my travels around SA and Europe, email me and I will send you the link once it's up and running.

So yay for me! I have overcome my procrastination! Well, at least a little bit!

0 comments: