Monday, October 5, 2009

Stupid fucking computers!

So, in an effort to have my computer functioning normally before exam time, I did a complete back up, deletion, reformat, and reinstall last weekend.

Or so I thought.

Even though I have had various computers over the last 9 years, I still have every document I've ever created during those years. I usually back them up, and then transfer them across to any new computer. I have a folder entitled "Uni" as a subfolder under "My Documents" (because I'm creative like that). One would think that when one copies across My Documents to an external hard drive, that all subfolders would come with it, no?

Apparently not. Apparently the only subfolder that didn't copy across is the only one I really, desperately need right now. The Uni folder. 8 years of uni work is gone. Right before exam time.

Why did I not have a backup, you ask? But I did! I copied the entire folder across! There were no errors! No, I didn't check to see if everything came across, but I have never had to do that before. And in my wisdom, I simply copied over the top of my previous My Documents backup on said external hard drive, so I don't even have an older version of all my uni stuff.

I have some things on my work computer, as I usually finish off assignments at work. But all of my summaries for my exams were on my home computer. Gone. Lists of cases and materials. Gone. Scanned tutorial work and lecture notes. Gone.

I could seriously cry right now.

0 comments: