Monday, April 7, 2008

Waste of a weekend

For someone so organised, I sure screwed my weekend up!

I was supposed to go and watch Miss Giggles' performance on Friday night, but after all my work that day I had hurt my neck (bringing boxes of old files up from the basement, where the lift doesn't go, to reconcile information). I had dinner and went to lie down for a few minutes before getting ready and leaving. Next thing I know, I wake up and it's 11.30pm! Oh no! I looked at my phone and sure enough, there was a message from Miss Giggles saying the performance had gone really well. Damnit. I really wanted to see their routine (shut up! It was not all about Supermodel in lingerie!).

Saturday morning I had decided I was going to go to the library at uni after getting my nails done to work on an assignment I have due in a couple of weeks. I got my books together and then looked through the material. The assignment is due 7 April (today), not 17 April! Oh no! I had only a vague idea of what I was going to write about, and hadn't even started researching it yet!

So the entire weekend was spent at the library, trying to write an entire assignment from scratch. And to make it worse, it's only a 1000 word assignment. I hate those. It is impossible to write about something in-depth in 1000 words and form a complete argument. I can write a 10,000 word assignment no worries, but 1,000 word ones? I'm screwed. My strengths lie in my ability to babble and explain things i n - d e p t h! I initially wrote 5000, then cut it back to 3,000, then 2,000, and finally down to 1,400. I have to continue to edit it today so I can get it to the word limit and hand it in. In this course, they are very strict on word limits, and penalise heavily for going over them. I have no idea how I'm going to cut out another 400 words and still make the assignment a cohesive argument. Ugh.

Tonight won't be any better. I have an assignment that needs to have its progress signed off by the tutor tomorrow night. I haven't actually written anything since the last sign off. I was going to work on it over the weekend, but obviously that didn't happen. So I suspect I'll be up late tonight, trying to make it look as though I've done a lot more work than I have.

*sigh* I am so far behind this semester. Sometimes, I really hate my decision to work full time and try to study 3 degrees at once. What was I thinking?!

0 comments: