Monday, May 12, 2008

Argh!

Comment from William on the weekend that really made my blood boil (in relation to me mentioning I don't want children, after a comment his mother made earlier at breakfast):

"I'm concerned because now she thinks she's never going to get grandchildren."

What the fuck?! Why should I feel pressured into having children because his mother is scared she won't have any grandkids? Why does she want them anyway? Some arbitrary and pointless feeling of ownership? Bizarre. If she wants another baby to look after, she can adopt one herself, instead of trying to live vicariously through other people. Besides, she has a daughter, so she can pressure her into having babies if she's desperate. I disagree with pressuring (intentionally or not) people into having kids. They're not the ones who have to carry it for 9 months and go through the pain of childbirth. They're not the ones who have to look after it for the next 18 years (at least) and cripple themselves financially and emotionally. They just want to coo over it and then leave when the kid starts crying. Ridiculous. It's not their decision to make. And it's none of their business what William and I do with our lives.

Besides which, William knew from the start when he met me that I don't like kids and I don't want them, so he can hardly say I've sprung this on him out of the blue. I'm pretty vocal in my child-disliking, so it's not like he couldn't have realised the extent of it.

Grr. Why is this subject becoming so prevalent all of a sudden? Why is everyone suddenly so interested in my biological functions? Weird.

However, my exam on Saturday went very well, and now I just have one more assignment due on Wednesday and then there's 3 weeks until finals. And then I only have 2 more subjects to go in my degree! Yayayayayayayayayyayay!

0 comments: