Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bah!

So it wasn't third time lucky on the house. It turns out the agent misrepresented the house. We repeatedly asked and she repeatedly said it was legal height. Turns out it's 20cm short. Which means the downstairs is not habitable (can only be used as laundry/storage). So unless the owners are willing to drop the house $20k to take into account how much it would cost us to dig further down to lay the slab with enough clearance, we're obviously going to have to pull out. So it's back to the drawing board.

On a cheerier note, I just had coffee with a friend I met on my trip last year. He was on his honeymoon with his new wife (obviously!), and I spent most of the horrid GAP tour I did through Mexico with them. I shall dub him BFG because he's the tallest person I've ever met. I shall dub her Miss Diplomat. It was really amusing, because BFG and I were exactly the same, and Miss Diplomat and William were exactly the same, so it was like watching my own relationship, but in reverse (sort of). Anyway, BFG and I have the exact same sense of humour, and not many people think I'm funny, so it was nice to catch up with someone who actually laughed at my quips (and not just politely!). BFG and Miss Diplomat were the only reason I enjoyed the GAP tour. I would have hated it were it not for them. They were just so friendly and nice, and looked after me when I was sick in Mexico DF.

It was great to catch up with him, and he was telling me about their recent trials at house buying, so we were comparing notes. I have faith William and I will find something decent after speaking to him. It took them 6 months, and they'd nearly given up, but I really do think we will find something fantastic eventually.

The weekend just gone was quite nice too. We didn't yet know about the problems with the house, so we were relaxed. We cleaned the whole house, and then Giggles and I went to a spa and got facials, pedicures and massages - so good! And now my feet look like feet!

Friday night wasn't so good. I was at work until 9pm trying to fix mistakes from the muppet. Still. It baffles me that she managed to fuck up so many things in such a short period of time. I am so thankful Miss Flair is working here now. She is cheery, and competent, and just does what I tell her! It's great! It turns out the muppet also effectively stole close to $4,000 when she left. She had over 167 hours off work "sick", but only claimed 67 hours, because that's all the sick leave she was entitled to during her contract period. The other 100 hours should have come out of her annual leave, but she didn't deduct it, and then just paid out her annual leave when she left. I've spoken to the lawyers, and there's really nothing we can do about it, short of suing her for it. And given her economic situation, I doubt we'd get much. So we're just writing it off.

Seriously, if I ever see her again, I think it will take all of my willpower not to run up to her in the street and throttle her.

0 comments: