Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Is it so hard to admit a mistake?

Warning: this post contains TMI!!

I just went to visit my friendly neighbourhood beauty therapist for a wax, which I do once a month. I've never had a problem with her before. Although I do tend to talk about any old shit while I'm lying there, because I find it easier to pretend she's not poking around my lady bits that way.

Anyway, today started out no differently. I was mostly babbling about my new kitten. She was also telling me about her cats (there's probably a pussy joke in there somewhere). And then I noticed she was using a lot of round cosmetic pads. She kept grabbing one, and wiping at something and then throwing it away and getting another one. I figured I might have had a little bleeding or something (my hairs are quite tough and sometimes don't want to come out!) so I didn't bother questioning her, and I figured she might say something at the end. Like, "here's your tee tree oil cream, and I'm really sorry, but you have a small spot of blood, but it's nothing to worry about." She didn't say anything, so after she left, I sat up to get dressed.

And then I noticed that I was covered in blood! I grabbed some more of the cosmetic pads and kept wiping it away, but the blood kept flowing. It was certainly not that time of the month, so it wasn't that. And then I realised. Ever since I can remember (pre-sexual activity also), I have had a small bump right on the tip of my "labia major" (to use the clinical term!). I guess it probably looks a bit like a wart to anyone who isn't me, but it's definitely not one. It's pretty much a birth mark, I guess. I've had it looked at by a doctor before and it's just a growth, although it's been the same size forever, so "growth" is probably not the right word either. In any event, it's always been there.

And now it's not. I don't know what she was doing with wax up that high anyway (there is no hair on that part!), but it appears she has ripped the little bump right off me! I didn't feel any more pain than I usually do (let's face it, wax doesn't exactly tickle, so I'm not surprised), but there is an awful lot of blood.

I pressed a cosmetic pad against it and got dressed, and when I went out to pay, I asked her if the wax had torn some skin or something. She just looked at me and then said no. I said I was just wondering, because it wasn't that time of the month, as it was 2 weeks ago. She asked if I was bleeding, and then asked if it hurt. I sort of looked at her incredulously. I couldn't believe she was denying it! If she had no idea I was bleeding, what was she using the cosmetic pads for? What was she wiping away, and pressing down on? I didn't really care, it's not like I was after a free wax or anything, but I just wanted an acknowledgement that she'd made a mistake and torn off a part of my skin!

I didn't press the issue though. I just told her to never mind, it wasn't an issue, and it didn't hurt.

It's still bleeding though, and that was at 11.15. I hope it stops soon! I'm actually glad to be rid of the bump, because it does irritate me when I go to get a pap smear with a new doctor and they try to tell me I have genital warts or something. And I remember when I was teenager I actually tried to use nail clippers to cut it off (it hurt too much, so I stopped!). So it's nice for it to be gone, but I still would have liked her to acknowledge she ripped it unceremoniously from my body!

0 comments: