Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Curiosity killed the cat

Just in case you were wondering, Christmas was ok, but rather painful. I am not a family person. My parents came around for 8 hours on Christmas day. 8 hours!! I was done after 2. The next day was spent with William's family. Double ugh. This time, it was his extended family of grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. I have never met any of them before. His uncles seemed relatively normal (not sure what happened to his father), but one of his aunts was so intensely irritating, I wanted to throw the bucket of Christmas punch over her head.

New Year was just as uneventful. We went to bed early after watching a movie.

Yesterday, I decided to perform a little experiment. I am nothing if not a curious person. I have had conversations with friends before where I sometimes wonder if I'm just with William because no one else would put up with me. I mean, I love him, but I sometimes wonder if that's just *because* he puts up with me. Know what I mean? It's hard to explain, I suppose.

I was watching TV over the weekend, and a swath of eHarmony ads caught my attention. Apparently, that site is not the same as RSVP or the others, because they make you fill out a whole ton of questions and then develop a personality profile for you which they use to match you up with other people. I was interested in seeing what sort of people they would match me up with.

I thought about this for the whole weekend, and yesterday while I was bored at work, decided to check it out. Not because I am wanting to leave William (quite the opposite, in fact), or because I want to start some clandestine internet affair with someone else. Just because I was curious. I didn't intend to contact any of the matches, I just wanted to see what sort of people they were.

So I filled out the whole profile, and waited to see who my matches would be and what they'd be like. And you know what? I got 0. Yes, 0. Not one single match. So I waited until this morning, and logged in again. Still 0. It's telling me I need to widen my parameters (like, maybe removing the requirement for them to not have or want children). And then a few hours later it sent through two "flexible" matches. I clicked on the flexible link to see what that meant. It basically told me that because it couldn't match me up with anyone, it had relaxed the requirements for me, and found just 2 people.

I found this all highly amusing. I've already deleted the account. So I was right, in a way. No one else bar William would be able to put up with me. Even the computer says so.

0 comments: