Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blast from the past

I went to this month's high heel event (rock up in your most fabulous heels, get judged and win prizes), and wore my fabulous McQueens. I won! I was actually a little shocked I won, because there were so many more people there this time, and I thought for sure someone would have better shoes. Plus, there's only one judge, and you never know if they have good taste or not. Case in point, the person who won best bag/shoe combo had the most hideous shoes imaginable. But I think she was the only one whose shoes actually "matched" her handbag (which I consider a big faux pas anyway - who wants to look that matchy matchy?).

Anyway, the event wasn't as good as last time. They'd paired it with a charity event this time, and whilst I'm all for supporting charities, I really don't appreciate attending an event, which is meant to be fun and frivolous and just a good night out with your girl friends, which is then hijacked for a charity. Especially when the woman running the charity then speaks at great length (seriously, it must have been about half an hour) about the disabilities, and the impact, and the funding, and the hard work of the volunteers and blah blah blah. It was so bloody depressing! And not content with that, she then showed a 15/20 minute DVD basically saying the exact same things she'd just said, but with the added emotional blackmail of video footage of said disabled kids. And instead of it being a free cocktail/free canape event as it normally is, they turned it into a paying event.

And apart from the hijacking, it was just so interminably long! I suspect they were dragging it out so people would spend more money at the bar (50% of proceeds were going to the charity). I was really annoyed with the whole thing. I wouldn't have minded supporting the charity if I had known about it beforehand and had been prepared, but I just didn't like my fun and vapid event being hijacked. This probably all sounds very nasty and what not, that I'm complaining about a charity, but honestly, it's just not what I was expecting for the night. As I said, I like supporting charities, but I hate attending an event and then being guilted into handing over money.

Anyway. At the end of the night, they had a raffle draw. The first name pulled out went up and picked up her prize, and I wasn't really paying attention. Then they asked her if she was going to take any friends with her, and she pointed to the two girls sitting with her and said she would be taking them. And then I recognised the accent. Quelle horreur! I couldn't believe who it was!

I don't know how many of you were reading that far back, but you may recall I was at one time involved with a couple. I used to spend a lot of time at their place, and we'd all hang out and sleep together and what not. And then I found out they were married (she was American, and she married him in the States so she could come to Australia. They'd been together since college though). And then the husband started to become a little obsessed with me. He would tell his wife he was going to play golf, and then would show up at my house. And on American Pie's birthday, it all came to a head. I arrived at the venue, and Bruin grabbed my arm before I got inside and pulled me aside into a room. He said he wanted to leave American Pie and wanted to be with me. The only problem was, I didn't want to be with him. And then American Pie found us and started to go mental. She honestly thought I was trying to steal him away. I really wasn't interested in him like that. So yes, it all ended quite badly.

So yes. American Pie won the raffle last night, and I couldn't believe it was her. I have never had the misfortune of running into anyone I have broken up with. They all seem to move interstate. TPO moved to Canberra (after he returned from overseas), IT Boy moved to Melbourne (and married the Asian slave he'd always wanted), Moron #1 moved intrastate, but still far away from Brisbane, and Horse moved to NT. I've never even run into any of the hundreds of guys I went on dates with. So I was just really shocked at seeing her there. I've never been in this situation before. Well, except for Mr Walrus, and it is purely my own choice that I have kept in contact with him. But even he has moved to NSW!

Anyway, we went to leave, and I had to walk straight past her. I was all prepared to pretend I hadn't seen her, but then she called out my name. I had to turn back and pretend to be happy to see her. It was the most awkward moment of my life. It was such a tortured and strained conversation. And at the end of it, I was searching for a way out, so I pulled out the most ridiculous statement ever, said in an extremely weak voice. "Ok, well, I have to go and be with my friends now." I could have died. I felt like such an idiot. But I really had nothing to say to her! I don't even know why she decided to talk to me! And then she gave me her business card and told me to email her! Argh!

So yes. Winning the competition was great, but the rest of the night was pretty awful.

4 comments:

Giggleworthy said...

Hahahahahaha! This still cracks me up. I have never seen such horror on your face. Neither have I ever seen you look so awkward when talking to someone.

I honestly am sympathetic to how horrid such a situation would be, but I'm also too damn amused by it for that sympathy to really show through.

And yes, the shoes & bag that won were horrid.

Perseus said...

I don't know how many of you were reading that far back, but you may recall I was at one time involved with a couple. I used to spend a lot of time at their place, and we'd all hang out and sleep together and what not.

I wasn't reading that far back, but jeez I wish I was. Did you keep the yarn stored somewhere?

Angelina said...

I just can't believe she would even want to talk to me! It was so weird!

Indeed. They were nasty. And I don't believe in matching shoes & handbags anyway. Co-ordinating, yes. Matching, no.

Pers, I do have it somewhere, but I'm not re-posting it. You'll have to get your sapphic pr0n fantasies elsewhere :p

kiki said...

applying my quick google skills i've found pictures from the evening.

I believe American's outfit is actually quite nice. The subtle pairing of the shoes and bag sit nicely against the soft hue of the blue dress. She is also very cute.

Questions of the event are raised in my mind by some honourable mentions