Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rude!

Some people are so rude. Two recent examples:

We were invited to an engagement party of one of William's friends. When we got there, I placed my handbag and coat on a chair in order to reserve it for later (when I was sick of standing up). At such time, I walked back into the other room, only to discover a very large lady has stolen my seat. But that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was she had put my $700 handbag on the wet, dirty floor!! And she was literally sitting on my equally expensive jacket and crushing it!! I was so angry, and it took all my effort not to completely blow up at her. Instead, I just shot her daggers. I mean, even if it had been a $5 handbag and jacket, that sort of thing is still not acceptable. You don't put someone else's bag on a dirty, wet floor, and sit on/crush their clothes!

The other example was last night. We were supposed to be going out to dinner with William's friends from Melbourne. I have never met them before, because every other time they've been up, I've had an exam or assignment due the next day and have to bail. So anyway. It was supposed to be the four of us going out to dinner. William had picked the Normanby, which I wasn't too happy about, but I did know they had recently put in a newer restaurant which served more than just steak and chips, so I agreed. As a side note, William and I are on a strict eating plan which involves no carbs after 3pm. We are allowed to not follow the plan for one day every few weeks, and I was looking forward to eating some mashed potato.

Anyway, half an hour before we left our house, William's friend called him and said the people who had picked him up from the airport had invited themselves to dinner. Neither William or I know these people. Further, William's friend then decided to invite another of his friends (and his fiance) along, since it was turning into a large group. Brilliant, I thought. Those who know me in real life probably don't realise how shy I am. Sure, I'm outspoken once you get to know me, but if I don't know you, I generally won't say anything to you until I do. This situation is compounded when I'm faced with a large group of people I don't know. If it had just been the 4 of us as originally intended, I could have dealt with that. But facing 6 people I didn't know was extremely daunting, and I just knew I was going to sit there in silence all night.

I assumed William had made reservations for us at this place, and I asked him if we were sitting inside (I hate sitting outside, it's always cold, and at the moment it's raining). He said yes. I bought a jacket just in case, but I also wore a knee length dress (I would have chosen something warmer for eating outside).

So we get to the "restaurant." It turns out William hasn't made a reservation at all. And now that we are suddenly a table of 8, there is no space inside the new restaurant. There is only a table for 6 available. We are forced to sit outside in the pub food area. I am not happy. We manage to get a table for 8 as close as possible to the restaurant, in case of rain. There is a horribly loud entertainer not too far away playing the piano and singing slightly off key to horrible pop/rock songs of the 90s.

I look at the menu and am getting more irritated by the moment. There are burgers, pizzas, steak and chips, and that's it. I can't believe I am wasting one of my night's off for this crap. If I'm going to deviate from my eating plan, I would at least like to eat something decent. Not to mention I need to be studying, and I am annoyed that I could be home studying and eating something better instead of sitting here in the cold, facing a night of sitting shyly in silence, with horribly loud music assaulting my eardrums, and eating crappy food.

The other people show up. And someone else (a friend of the couple who picked up the friends from the airport) has now invited themselves along too. So now we have to move from our 8 table out to a shitty bar table with high stools (which had no backs - I hate chairs without backs!), right in front of the crappy singer, and right at the edge of the undercover section, so that if it started raining again, we were sure to get wet. Fantastic.

I asked William to order me a steak, and ask for mashed potato and vegetables instead of chips and salad. He comes back and tells me they won't do it. They apparently tell him they don't do mashed potato. What sort of restaurant doesn't do mashed potato?! He asks them whether they have any mashed potato over at the other restaurant, and they say no. As if. I go and investigate the menu, and there is indeed mashed potato on it. Fucking liars. How fucking hard is it to put a little bit of mashed potato on a plate? Charge me extra for it, I don't care! But seriously? Denying a customer a small change because you just simply don't want to do it? That's ridiculous.

And now for the extremely obnoxious part. Three of the ringers (the couple who picked up the friends from the airport, and their friend) don't even order food. They don't even sit with us. They take themselves and their drinks off to the smoking area, and don't come back for the rest of the night. I am livid! If they weren't coming to eat, then why are they here?! Why didn't they tell us they didn't want to eat?! We could have had the 6 top in the new restaurant, away from the horribly loud singer, and out of the cold and possible rain, and I could have been eating mashed potato! Who crashes someone else's dinner, and then just ruins it for everyone else by demanding a table large enough that they're not even going to sit at? Seriously?

I was so angry. I wanted to punch them in their stupid faces. I can't believe I wasted a night off on that crap. I told William he owes me a sandcrab lasagne from Il Centro.

28 comments:

Giggleworthy said...

Incident 1: I am amazed at your self control, hell hath no fury...

Incident 2: That is exceptionally rude and I don't blame you for being pissed. I don't think I could have managed NOT to say something at the time.

In closing: Sandcrab lasagne... nom nom nom!!!

Perseus said...

Did you sit in silence? Were the friends (the original two) nice, at least?

kiki said...

if i was coming from Melbourne to Adelaide to visit friends, I'd want to see them all, so i'd invite them all to dinner.

kiki said...

i had a knee reconstruction once s i needed to sit down a lot.
if someone had 'reserved' a seat, i would have found that extremely rude. i also would have just sat on the jacket.

if i was large, i'd also want a seat and wouldn't care if someones jacket was there

EMK said...

I actually think it is rude to "tag" a seat where there is limited numbers and expect other people not to use it in the mean time. It is also rude to brag about the cost of your bag and jacket. Rude to imply your boyfriend should make amends for something he was not responsible for. And rude to not be hospitable enough to include other people in a dinner party. Your manners are what are questionable.

Boring to talk about not eating fatty foods. All round a rude and boring blog which only demonstrated to me that you are a selfish person.

Angelina said...

Giggles: Indeed.

Pers: I did. The two originals were nice, but it was so loud I couldn't hear any of the conversations anyway.

Kiki: It's a different story if you invite them, as to when they just invite themselves. They were going to see those other people the next day anyway. I don't think it's rude to reserve a seat. And it wasn't so much the person sitting in that seat that bothered me. It was the fact they put my handbag on the floor and sat on my jacket. They could at least have moved the things to the table 30cm to the right of them.

Said - No one's keeping you here against your will. Fuck off if you don't like it.

Giggleworthy said...

Fortunately for all of us, 'Said' is a blogger - and human being - par excellence.

How fortunate to have them visit and inform you where you are going wrong in your life, Ange.

Let this be a wake up call to you, Missy!

Alternately, 'Said' could just fuck right off and a) die or b) troll somewhere else.

Either or.

Giggleworthy said...

Kiki, would you seriously just dump someone's stuff on the floor and sit on their coat? Really? I wouldn't care if I could see the tag said 'Target', I would NEVER do that, it's incredibly rude!

I fucking hate people as a general rule, but I still have enough respect for other people and their possessions that I would either look for another seat, find the owner of said items and ask if I could move them or just move them somewhere safe where they couldn't be stood/sat/spilled upon.

When did it become the norm to just not give a shit about other people's belongings?

Perseus said...

Said's an odd troll in that he/she can spell and employ correct grammar. When I was a kid, trolls were all "UR a Fag!!!!!"

But like all trolls, Said is possibly someone who, bereft of self-respect, takes it upon him/herself to tell complete strangers what's wrong with them.

I would suggest that Said should start a blog and open him/herself up to feedback (if it wants to be part of the blog community).

I for one support the buzzing of a chair at a party, so long as you're prepared to lose it. She should have put your jacket and bag in a safe place, and humbly declared she got the prized chair. Cow.

(Once, at a big BYO party, someone was stealing Lewd Bob's beer. He found the culprit and confronted him, saying, "Hey. you've been stealing my beer all night haven't you?" The culprit replied, "So, the hunter becomes the hunted." It was such an amusing comeback, Lewd Bob allowed him to take some more beer.)

Giggleworthy said...

Trolls aren't what they used to be, Pers.

This is what happens when you educate the masses.

Stupid equality.

Angelina said...

Giggles - I know! I feel so privileged it has decided to grace me with its presence and leave such constructive and helpful feedback as to how I might turn my life around!

Agree on your second comment. As I said, it wouldn't have mattered if my belongings had cost $5, I still would have been pissed off. You can't treat other people's possessions like that. There was a table right next to that chair (and no, it didn't have food on it - just presents, etc). She could have moved it up there instead of dumping it on the floor.

Pers - I was prepared to lose it. I was still disappointed, but I did have some idea it might be gone if I stayed away from it for too long. Also, that dude is hilarious! What a delightful comeback!

Giggleworthy said...

Angelina, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

New horizons spread before you with each newly aware breath you take.

With Said's help, you can take on (and hopefully over) the world.

Once you've done that, we can teach everyone how to dress properly.

... Sorry, Said hasn't told me where I'm going wrong, so I'm still working off the old text.

Angelina said...

I suspect Said will tell you it's rude to tell people what to dress, and especially rude to tell them what clothes cost. Too bad if it's contextual, or even if they're asking outright - never, ever mention it! People are delicate flowers who can't handle knowing there are fashion houses out there which charge more than $50 for a handbag. Or worse yet! That there are people out there who will buy such things! If someone asks you, express extreme outrage they would be so rude as to enquire! Tell them everything costs less than $50, and how dare they suggest otherwise! If you're telling a story where the price of something might matter somewhat, then... well... don't tell the story! Simple!

kiki said...

no, i wouldn't have put it on a wet floor, but i definitely would have chucked it somewhere dry and sat there.

Giggleworthy said...

... Ange, I don't think you're taking this very seriously.

Something tells me that it's going to take a few more visits from Said before you see the error of your ways.

I kind of hope Said does come back. I'm all interested right now as it's been a while since I had someone to point and laugh at! Plus, I'm typing enough that it sounds to my boss like I'm sending work emails! Hurrah! Win/win!

Puss In Boots said...

Kiki - I really wouldn't have had a problem with that. Sure, I would have been slightly miffed I lost my chair, but I wouldn't have been so outraged as to write about it here. It was the fact she put my stuff on the wet, dirty floor that bothered me. Not that she "stole" my chair.

Giggles - *sigh*, I think you're right. I need more educating, I guess. I aspire to be like Said.

Perseus said...

I would have put the jacket on the back of the chair, which is win/win. I get the chair, but also keep the jacket safe for its owner. Likewise, the handbag would have been safely deposited at my feet, or, at least somewhere else safe. It's a party after all, not a rock festival. Presumably, all attendees are socially connected, thus, civility must be maintained.

Kiki, if you 'chucked' my jacket, I would consider that more rude than my original action of bagsing a chair.

*

Ange, as you may recall, I spent so much money on a kenzo trenchcoat last year that I haven't slept properly ever since. But everytime I get a compliment (which is often... honestly, it is such a fucking good coat), I take $100 off its price in my head.

Puss In Boots said...

I like that theory, Pers! That means the McQueens I wore to the party are practically paying me now!

Giggleworthy said...

I normally divide the cost of the item by the number of times I wear it.

So the Carla Zampatti coat I bought that time we went shopping is currently sitting at approx $33 / wear. Which is an absolute bargain, don't you think?

Puss In Boots said...

Total bargain!

Those pink Louboutins are at about $166 at the moment. Still a bargain!

My McQueens are already down to $176!

Giggleworthy said...

I knew I wouldn't regret buying that coat... *pats self on back*

Now, if we combine the 2 methods (i.e. divide cost by number of wears - $100 for each compliment garnered by said item) then Carla Zampatti owes me a fucking fortune.

I'm guessing you will also be rich once the companies involved pay up? /grin

Giggleworthy said...

Sorry, I just realised that the way I explained that formula didn't make much sense.

It should look something like this:

(Cost / No. of wears)- $100 per compliment = x

Sooo....

($1000 / 30) - $6000 = $5966.66

*rubs hands together* How long do you think I will have to wait for my cheque after I send Carla Zampatti my bill?


My god, I really am a classless whore, talking about how much I paid for that coat. I should have put a disclaimer on the top of the comment so that right minded people wouldn't be offended by my bourgeois mentality.

Puss In Boots said...

Is now a bad time to mention I just paid $2,000 for a Louis Vuitton Bowling Montaigne GM in Cassis Epi leather??

I guess that means I have to use it at least 4 times and get 1.25 compliments each time I use it to break even. I think that's certainly possible!

Perseus said...

My trenchcoat was over $5,000 as well. I LOVE your equation, Giggles.

Suck it in, Said.

Giggleworthy said...

No Puss, it's not a bad time, it's just BORING for us to hear about. /yawn

And tacky, of course.

Pers, you just upped the ante. Puss and I are totally off the hook. What a shame for Said that you don't have a blog where it can spew it's jealousy masked as outrage!! Sadly, lazy bastard that you are, if Said heads there to vent it's disgust, no one will ever bloody know! Said will just have to hijack Anges blog to vent his disgust at your spending your money on whatever you like! Might as well, we hijack it often enough it has to be someone elses turn!

Angelina said...

Woo! $5,000 on a coat! I think that totally beats anything I have ever bought! I think the most I have spent on one item (clothing/shoes/handbags) was almost $3,000 on a Herve Leger bodycon dress. Which I have never worn (I lost the requisite figure about 3 weeks after I bought it).

Although I am now in the process of saving up for a Chanel 2.55 Classic Flap (Jumbo). I'm still not sure whether to get black, white, or pink. That's going to set me back about $3,800 for the caviar leather, or $4,200 for the lambskin. I think I will be saving for a while!

kiki said...

i spent $120,000 on a car

Angelina said...

Really? What did you get? The most I've spent on a car is $30,000. Clearly, my priorities lie elsewhere! Although I would dearly love to buy either an Audi R8, or a Bugatti Veyron. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever be that rich. Probably because I spend all my money on handbags and shoes.