Monday, March 10, 2008

No, I don't bloody well care about the children

I used to support a lot of charities. At one point, I was giving out nearly $1,000 a month in regular donations. Recently, I've saved myself a lot of money by implementing a new rule.

How fucking annoying are those backpackers/other marketing people that stand around on the streets, harassing you as you walk past on your lunch break? And they always have some question ready to pounce on you with: "Hi, do you like Irish men?" What the fuck? What do Irish men have to do with anything? I guess they think if they can get your attention, they can reel you in to sign away $50 a month in support.

I really hate this recent development. I swear it didn't happen a few years back. Now it seems that every time I walk out of my building, I'm harassed by charity workers. And they're not even volunteers who actually believe in the cause! They're generally backpackers or other promotions people who get paid based on how many people they sign up. This irritates me.

Generally, the same people will stand in the same place for a few days. I walk past them at least 4 times a day. They try to talk to me every time. You'd think after the 3rd or 4th time, you'd realise this person is not going to give you any money and stop annoying them, no? Apparently not. I got so fed up with one chap pouncing on me every time I walked past that I stopped and shouted at him in the middle of the street that, no, I didn't give a shit about the children, and could he please go and fuck himself. Charming, no?

One girl even thought offending people was going to make them donate. She saw me walking up with my headphones on and said, "What's that you're listening to, Britney Spears?" Ugh! As if I would listen to Britney Spears! I very nearly turned around and asked her if she thought offending people was the best way to garner their support. Instead I just snorted my disgust and kept walking.

So my new rule is not to support any charities that employ these horribly annoying people. I should be allowed to enjoy my lunch hour in peace, thank you. They already have a bunch of telemarketers annoying me at all times of the day and night, so this is where I'm drawing the line. I've already culled Green Peace, Children's Cancer Fund, Fred Hollows, WWF, Abused Child Trust and a few others.

The Red Cross called me the other day. I usually support them by buying tickets in their art unions. However, I'd just been annoyed by their marketers for 3 days in a row, so I told her I would no longer be supporting them, because I didn't appreciate being harassed during my lunch hour, and that it was now my policy to not support any charities that have people out on the street pouncing on people. The poor girl didn't know what to say.

I probably sound like a heartless bitch, but honestly, I just hate being harassed. If I want to donate, I will. I resent some little promotions worker trying to force me into it by harassing me so much I sign up just to shut her up. It's irritating. Those charities will get my money again when they've realised how annoying this ploy is and put a stop to it.

Oh, and things like Red Nose Day, Daffodil Day, etc are exempt from this rant. I always buy something from those things. They're one off days when you know the charities are going to be out on the street, and they don't harass you. They just set their little stands up and wait for you to approach them. Very polite. I like that. They still get my support.

P.S. I'm extra annoyed today because of stupid group assignments. God I hate group assignments. Why do I always end up having to do all the work? And why am I always in a group where the other members don't even understand the basics, let alone anything in depth enough to contribute? Grr!

0 comments: